Face Covering Guidelines for Riders
Important changes to the way you move from the 15th of June
From the 15th of June, there will be significant changes to private hire travel in light of COVID-19.
The main changes for passengers that will come into effect from the 15th of June are as follows:
- Face coverings: All passengers will be required to wear face coverings when travelling with Bolt
- Cancellation fees: You should cancel a trip if your driver is not wearing a face mask. If you cancel a trip due to this, the cancellation fee will be waived. If you are charged, you can request a refund by contacting Customer Support through the Bolt app or by calling 0808 169 8818 (for London and Windsor and Maidenhead trips) or 0808 168 9314 (for Peterborough, Milton Keynes, Leicester, Birmingham, Walsall, Solihull, Dudley, and Wolverhampton trips).
- Front seats: Passengers will be unable to use the front seat of a vehicle until further notice. This will be reflected in the seating capacity shown to you in the app for each category. If you are travelling as a family of 4, please request an XL trip.
Not complying with wearing face coverings
Drivers can refuse to carry you if you are not wearing a face covering. If we are notified of an incident that you tried to take a journey without wearing a face covering, the following will occur:
- For the first incident raised to us, we will undertake an internal investigation
- We will seek clarity as to why you are not adhering to this advice, as you may have a valid reason for not being able to wear a mask.
All instances of non-compliance will be reported to local authorities.
In addition to the above changes, we advise the below personal hygiene measures:
- Wash your hands regularly or use sanitiser (minimum 60% alcohol)
- Handle your own personal belongings during pick up and drop off
- Keep the time you spend near other people to a minimum, especially in busy pick up zones, and be aware of the surfaces you touch
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to wear a face-covering?
Local authorities guidance outlines that all riders and drivers should wear face coverings for the duration of the journey.
Who are exempt from wearing a face-covering?
Those exempt from wearing a face-covering include children under the age of three, unassisted primary age children, people with breathing difficulties and those who have disabilities that make it difficult to wear a face covering.
Am I allowed to sit in the front seat?
Passengers will be unable to sit in the front seat of a vehicle until further notice. This change will be reflected in the seating capacity shown in the rider app for each category. If you are travelling as a family of four, please request an XL trip.
Will I be charged a cancellation fee if the driver cancels the trip because I am not wearing a face mask?
You may be charged a cancellation fee. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Support through the Bolt app or by calling 0808 169 8818 (for London and Windsor and Maidenhead trips) or 0808 168 9314 (for Peterborough, Milton Keynes, Leicester, Birmingham, Walsall, Solihull, Dudley, and Wolverhampton trips).
How long will I be required to wear a face-covering?
This measure will remain in place from the 15th of June until further government guidance is announced.