Face Covering Guidelines for Drivers
Important changes to drivers from the 15th of June
From the 15th of June 2020, there will be significant changes to private hire travel in light of COVID-19.
The main changes that will come into effect from the 15th of June are as follows:
- Face coverings: All drivers and passengers will be required to wear face coverings when travelling with Bolt. Anyone reported for not wearing a face mask (passenger or driver) will result in an internal investigation which will be relayed to local authorities.
- Front seats: The use of front seats for passengers will temporarily be disabled until further notice. This will be reflected in the seating capacity shown in the rider app for each category. A family of 4 passengers should be suggested to request an XL trip.
- Cancellation fees: If a passenger cancels a trip due to a driver not wearing a face mask, the cancellation fees will be waived.
Access to Hand Sanitisers and Face Masks
In London, we are offering packs of face masks and sanitiser to drivers that visit our Hub. Please come to the Bolt Driver Hub in Chiswick and we will give you a safety starter pack.
Address: Bolt Hub, 114 Power Rd, Chiswick, London W4 5PY
Opening times: 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Monday – Friday
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us through the Bolt app or by calling +44 808 169 8818 (for London and Windsor and Maidenhead drivers) or at 0808 168 9314 (for Peterborough, Milton Keynes, Leicester, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Walsall, and Solihull drivers).
Not complying with wearing face coverings
If we are notified of an incident that you tried to carry a passenger without wearing a face covering, the following will occur:
- For the first incident raised to us, we will undertake an internal investigation
- We will seek clarity as to why you are not adhering to this advice, as you may have a valid reason for not being able to wear a mask.
All instances of non-compliance will be reported to local authorities.
How to maintain your vehicle
In addition to the above measures, it is still important to sanitise your vehicle regularly and reduce the spread of germs. The latest advice for vehicle hygiene is as follows:
- Regularly clean frequently touched surfaces in vehicles such as door handles, window controls and seat belts, with sanitising wipes or spray
- Avoid using the recirculated option for the vehicle’s ventilation. Use the vehicle vents or lower the windows to bring in the fresh air.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to wear a mask?
Local authorities guidance outlines that all riders and drivers should wear face coverings for the duration of the journey. People with breathing difficulties or disabilities preventing the use of face coverings are exempt from this. You must provide formal documentation to Bolt if you are exempt from the use of face coverings.
How do I notify Bolt of trips I reject because the rider is not wearing a mask?
You need to select Rider is not wearing a face mask as a trip rejection reason.
This reason should only be selected after you have verified that the passenger is not wearing a face mask. We recommend that you visually verify the passenger through the front passenger side window before they enter the vehicle.
It is important to note that you must not start the trip before you and the rider have been verified.
Can passengers be exempt from wearing a face mask?
Yes. Passengers who state that they are medically exempt and/or have extenuating circumstances that would preclude them from wearing a face mask are exceptions to the face mask requirement.
Can passengers sit in the front seat?
Passengers will be unable to sit in the front seat until further notice. This change will be reflected in the seating capacity shown in the rider app for each category. A family of 4 passengers will be required to request an XL trip.
Will I get a cancellation fee if the passenger cancels?
You are not eligible to receive a cancellation fee if the passenger cancels the trip because you are not wearing a face covering.
Will I receive a cancellation fee if I cancel a trip because the passenger was not wearing a face mask?
You are eligible for a cancellation fee if you reject the trip for a passenger not wearing a face covering and time to pick up exceeded 4 minutes. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Support through the Bolt app or by calling us at:
- 0808 169 8818, if you are a London or Windsor and Maidenhead driver
- 0808 168 9314, if you are a Peterborough, Milton Keynes, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Dudley, Solihull, Walsall, or Leicester driver.
Will my activity score be affected if I cancel a trip because the passenger was not wearing a face mask?
Your activity score will be affected. However, selecting the trip rejection reason Client does not wear mask when you reject the trip will not affect your acceptance rate and won't contribute to any blocking thresholds.
How long will I be required to wear a face covering?
This measure will remain in place until further government guidance is announced.